Function of the External Capsule of the Brain
Tracy Harcourt
2004-08-15 18:25:14 UTC
My father who has had Alzheimer's Disease for several years has had
a silent, small lacunar infarct in the external capsule. I understand
what a lacunar infarct is but I do not understand what the function of the
external capsule is. His doctor really did not answer the question
(one of the many reasons why we are going to switch doctors).

If anyone can explain the role to me, I would appreciate it.

Thanks-Tracy
Griffin
2004-08-15 18:56:58 UTC
Post by Tracy Harcourt
My father who has had Alzheimer's Disease for several years has had
a silent, small lacunar infarct in the external capsule. I understand
what a lacunar infarct is but I do not understand what the function of the
external capsule is. His doctor really did not answer the question
(one of the many reasons why we are going to switch doctors).
If anyone can explain the role to me, I would appreciate it.
Well, I hope you have another reason for switching doctors other than
the fact that he couldn't give you a detailed explanation of the
functions of the external capsule off the top of his head! I doubt
anybody other than perhaps a neurologist would be able to do that
without having to look it up. Which is probably what *you* should do.
;-)
Tracy Harcourt
2004-08-15 23:55:46 UTC
I actually spent a lot of time trying to find the answer today-seems that
most of the lacunar infarcts occur in the internal capsule and basal ganglia.
While I found very detailed descriptions of these areas, there
was very little on the external capsule.
And if you actually read my post, you would see that I indicated that
it was one of the "many reasons" we are switching. I did not ask for a detailed
description.

I asked a question to get information, not to get a sarcastic response from
someone who did not even try to answer the question.

If you were not going to try to be helpful, why answer the post at all?
;-)
Griffin
2004-08-16 00:19:28 UTC
Post by Tracy Harcourt
If you were not going to try to be helpful, why answer the post at all?
Because of the smartass-with-a-chip-on-my-shoulder way you asked it
(e.g., "His doctor couldn't answer it, so we're finding a new one.")
Try a different approach the next time, and maybe someone will be more
willing to help you. In the meantime, go er...*help* yourself.
Griffin
2004-08-16 00:29:38 UTC
Post by Tracy Harcourt
I actually spent a lot of time trying to find the answer today-seems that
most of the lacunar infarcts occur in the internal capsule and basal ganglia.
Correct.
Post by Tracy Harcourt
While I found very detailed descriptions of these areas, there was very
little on the external capsule.
Basically, the external capsule contains a variety of different nerve
bundles and pathways connecting the cerbral cortex to subcortical
nuclei, as well as connecting different parts of the cortex to each
other. It's like a big telephone central office. Does that help? Sorry
for my earlier rudeness, but something about the way you asked the
question got under my skin.
Tracy Harcourt
2004-08-16 14:33:19 UTC
Yes, this is what I needed to know and could not find with
using multiple search engines.

Was not trying to be rude with the first post-just explaining
and asking a question.

Thank you
question got under my skin.
Griffin
2004-08-16 23:03:38 UTC
Post by Tracy Harcourt
Yes, this is what I needed to know and could not find with
using multiple search engines.
Was not trying to be rude with the first post-just explaining and
asking a question.
Thank you
You're welcome. Sorry again. I'm in a better mood now. ;-)